[c-nsp] disable console port

Pete Templin petelists at templin.org
Sat Jul 2 09:04:52 EDT 2005

Robert Boyle wrote:

> All of these "chips" are FLASH! The NVRAM is always soldered to the board.
> You would notice if someone removed it - which goes back to my earlier
> point...  Who uses flash to hold configs and why?

I don't, but I'm approaching a time to start doing so.  I don't like the
  perceived slowdown of compressed configs, and have boxes running low
on NVRAM (thanks in part to SNMP ifIndex persistence, but that's very
worthwhile to me).  If I get any more BGP customers on one particular
box, I'll likely have to shift to using flash (or compress-config).

At NANOG34, Jared Mauch indicated his employer (Verio) has some routers
with configs approaching (or possibly exceeding) 8MB.  They
prefix-filter all peers, and obviously those configs can get mighty long
(I'm fairly certain that Verio is all Juniper, FWIW though).

pt