[c-nsp] unhappy NPE-150

Ed Ravin eravin at panix.com
Thu Jul 7 19:38:09 EDT 2005

I dusted off an old NPE-150 removed from service and tried to use
it in a known good 7206 non-VXR chassis.  These messages appeared
on bootup:

  C7200 processor with 131072 Kbytes of main memory

  *** Cache Error Exception ***
  Cache Err Reg = 0xa400dc01
  data reference, primary cache, data field error , error on SysAD Bus
  PC = 0xbfc1572c, Cause = 0x0, Status Reg = 0x3040d007

  monitor: command "boot" aborted due to exception

And if I let the boot retry, these messages showed up instead:

  System Bootstrap, Version 11.1(10) [dschwart 10], RELEASE SOFTWARE (fc1)
  Copyright (c) 1994 by cisco Systems, Inc.
  C7200 processor with 131072 Kbytes of main memory

  *** Emulating mis-aligned load at 0xa0003d76
      PC = 0x800081ac ... succeeded

  *** Emulating mis-aligned load at 0xa0003dc6
      PC = 0x800081c0 ... succeeded

  *** Emulating mis-aligned store at 0xd220bfc1
      PC = 0x800081d4 ...
  *** TLB (Store) Exception ***
  Access address = 0xd220bfc1
  PC = 0xbfc095c4, Cause = 0xc, Status Reg = 0x3040d003

  monitor: command "boot" aborted due to exception

Looking at Cisco's online docs, the only diagnostic I found were related
to the "Cache Error Exception", which suggested bad DRAM.  But swapping
the DRAM didn't have any effect.  The only other option was "replace the
NPE".

Is there anything else I should try, or is this NPE-150 toast?

Thanks,

	-- Ed