[c-nsp] Multilink Vs Serial Conf.

Oliver Boehmer (oboehmer) oboehmer at cisco.com
Fri Jul 8 05:36:29 EDT 2005

Gangasagar Amula <mailto:sagar_cisco at rediffmail.com> wrote on Friday,
July 08, 2005 11:17 AM:

> Hi Oli,
>
> Pls clarify one more query of mine....
> When we use multilink..is it we have to configure no fair-queue on
> the serial link(s) and fair-queue on the multilink....

as said: you need to enable it on the Multilink interface (but I
recommend you use the new MQC to configure any QoS). If you enable it on
the serial link(s), it is ignored and is changed to Fifo:

VXR-oli#sh int mul1 | i Queueing strategy
  Queueing strategy: weighted fair
VXR-oli#sh int s4/0:0 | i Queueing strategy
  Queueing strategy: weighted fair  [suspended, using FIFO]
VXR-oli#sh int s4/0:1 | i Queueing strategy
  Queueing strategy: weighted fair  [suspended, using FIFO]
VXR-oli#

> Again if we are using Multilink for bundling purpose (right now we
> are not using it for bundling purpose as mentioned earlier...) is the
> load sharring between the links happens per packet or per
> destination?

Well, neither. Load-sharing over Multilink interfaces works
transparantly to the upper layer protocols. PPP multilink uses its own
algorithm to achieve a pretty symmetrical link utilization, and it
guarantees delivery in order by using sequence#..

	oli