[c-nsp] PPPoE scaling / redundancy

Oliver Boehmer (oboehmer) oboehmer at cisco.com
Fri Jul 8 06:52:47 EDT 2005

Kristofer Sigurdsson <> wrote on Friday, July 08, 2005 11:52 AM:

> Hi,
>
> We are currently running a PPPoE server for DSL
> clients, a 7301 box (IOS 12.3(3)B).  This does not scale infinitely
> and we are hitting the point where we have to start
> planning for this thing, what to do when, or, preferably,
> before, we run out of resources on this box.

As a side note, you might also want to upgrade and enabling MPF
(multi-processor forwarding) to increase scalability for the LAC.. See
http://www.cisco.com/univercd/cc/td/doc/product/software/ios123/123newft
/123limit/123x/123xi7/mpf123t7.htm for details and make sure the
features you are using are supported on the 2nd CPU.
This feature might require a special license, please check with your
partner/distributor..

	oli

P.S: "cisco-bba" would likely be a more appropriate list for this
topic..