[c-nsp] OT: DC Power supplies

Bill Wichers billw at waveform.net
Sat Jul 9 18:28:56 EDT 2005

> That definitely works, though is a bit scary.  It's amazing what you can
> get away with when there are few electrical codes for DC versus AC :)

Actually, there are DC codes too -- but they usually only apply above
about 60-70 volts. 48 volts DC is considered "safe" and "low voltage", so
a lot of the codes don't apply. Not that a few hundred amps of -48vDC
can't do some pretty serious damage though :-)

For the original poster, I'd personally recommend against running 5 wires
to 5 circuits to supply one device. You'd be much better off bussing the 5
circuits together with a copper or brass strap at the fuse panel and
running one heavy gauge wire from the bus bar to the device. While still a
hack, it's a bit safer with the bus bar than with 5 seperate wires, and it
will look more professional too.

     -Bill