[c-nsp] VPNv4 - Multiple eBGP (CE->PE; CE->CE multihop) - Validation

Per Carlson ml at carlson.homeunix.net
Mon Jul 11 03:42:18 EDT 2005

On Fri, Jul 08, 2005 at 12:54:57PM -0400, Anthony D Cennami wrote:
> CE->PE ---- PE->CE eBGP to VPN provider.  Filtered announcement,
> advertising only Lo0 of each CE device to the PE/provider.
>
> CE->CE  eBGP multi-hop via Lo0 advertising CE routes between each CE peer.
>
> All relationships are eBGP; Client sites #1 and #2 use different AS.
>
> Thus, CE routes would be "invisible" to provider/backbone, instead, only
> CE routes would be visible, allowing eBGP multihop relationship across the
> network.

I think you have forgotten one important aspect here, forwarding
through the VPN provider network. If you only advertises the Lo0
interface on each CE, the provider does only know those IP-adresses
and can only forward traffic to Lo0's.

Of course, you can tunnel the CE-CE traffic with GRE, but I don't
think that's what you have got in mind...

--

Regards, Per Carlson

"He's just a politician trying to save both his faces ..."