[c-nsp] SFP vs. GBIC development

Church, Chuck cchurch at netcogov.com
Mon Jul 11 09:01:40 EDT 2005

Cisco people mostly,

    According to
http://www.cisco.com/en/US/products/hw/switches/ps708/products_data_shee
t09186a008014cb62.html , there are some new SFPs out that'll use xWDM to
allow 2 switches to connect over 1 strand of fiber.  Other SFPs allow
use of 100FX for longer distance over multimode.  These two technologies
would be of great use to our company in the line of work we do - large
LANs on government campuses.  Any idea of when these things might show
up on the GBIC side of things, or are SFPs the way of the future?

Thanks,

Chuck Church
Lead Design Engineer
CCIE #8776, MCNE, MCSE
Netco Government Services - Design & Implementation
1210 N. Parker Rd.
Greenville, SC 29609
Home office: 864-335-9473
Cell: 703-819-3495