[c-nsp] Appletalk (don't laugh) through Cisco switch

Church, Chuck cchurch at netcogov.com
Wed Jul 13 19:59:11 EDT 2005

Jeff,

	I ran into a similar issue a few years ago.  From what I could
tell, Macs and Appletalk-speaking HP jetdirects couldn't all agree on
either the Appletalk zone, or the cable number.  All devices were on the
same VLAN, but it spanned over 6 different switches.  I'm speculating
that a client coming up possibly didn't see other clients on the network
(maybe due to VLAN pruning??), and picked it's own.  When I threw a
Appletalk speaking router on the network, all issues went away.  Any
Cisco router will work.  Keep in mind, you only need to enable appletalk
on the one interface attached to this VLAN.  Make sure your cable-range
is big enough to support all clients (if I remember right, a single
cable number can support 128 devices).  HTH.

Chuck Church
Lead Design Engineer
CCIE #8776, MCNE, MCSE
Netco Government Services - Design & Implementation Team
1210 N. Parker Rd.
Greenville, SC 29609
Home office: 864-335-9473
Cell: 703-819-3495