[c-nsp] 12.2(25)S on NPEG1

nishal goburdhan nishal at is.co.za
Thu Jul 14 06:42:49 EDT 2005

On Mon, Jul 04, 2005 at 02:00:51PM +0900, Denis V. Schapov wrote:
> Hi.
>
> Could someone point me on DDTS id for this issue ?
> I mean CEF/fast-swiching flapping with
>
> 'no ip route-cache'
> 'no ip route-cache cef'
>
> after some configuration changes on interfaces.
>
> We have the same problem on 7204VXR/NPE300 running 12.2(25)S4.
>
> Denis.

heh.
aside from the usual - "code upgrade" path;  i can confirm that we still see this problem with 12.2(25)S4 - haven't tested S5 yet, we haven't had much luck in getting this one resolved.

i imagine that one of the problems is that the symptoms (for us anyway) are not always consistent.
yes, the router *logs* that it's disabled interface and global cef...but often it would leave cef dependent features, like urpf, still applied (which you would expect it to remove from all interfaces if the router stopped cef switching).
other times it's just interface cef, and sometimes, it's just netflow that gives us inconsistent results;  in all cases, an interface refresh:

'ip route-cache cef'
'ip flow ingress'

resolves the (interface) problem.

one of our staff managed to isolate the 'event' to removal of a channel-group, that still had urpf enabled.  this would successfully re-create the event, but since we've had this happen often out of working hours, it's unclear that this is the sole contributor.

iirc, we were advised to try 12.2(26.9)S but haven't opted for that route...

--n.