[c-nsp] MPLS, VRF's and EoMPLS

Oliver Boehmer (oboehmer) oboehmer at cisco.com
Fri Jul 15 11:13:02 EDT 2005

Geoffrey Cauchi <> wrote on Friday, July 15, 2005 5:03 PM:

> Hi
>
> We have two routers (Router A and Router B) and these are connected
> via MPLS.  Router A is used to offer Internet connectivity to leased
> line clients.  There is a VRF, called Internet, and these clients
> have their circuit terminated in this VRF.  A BGP session is setup
> from within the VRF to the client's router.  That works fine.
> Furthermore, an Ethernet interface exists in the Internet VLAN that
> connects Router A to the Internet routers, which are in turn
> connected to our upstream provider routers.  These routers are
> configured with OSPF as their IGP and also iBGP.
>
> The problem is that we have a client connected to Router B to whom we
> want to give an Internet connection, in a similar way we give it on
> Router A.  Router B is in a remote location, and does not have any
> interface connected to the Internet VLAN like Router A.
>
> I tried to implement the solution as follows:
>
> Create a VRF called Internet on RouterB.  Create a loopback interface
> in this VRF.
> On RouterA and RouterB I exported the ip address of the loopback
> interface with the export map command.  I setup an iBGP session
> between the two routers from within the VRF's, and configured RouterA
> to be a route reflector for RouterB.
> So far it worked, and I have all the routes that exist in RouterA in
> RouterB.  However I cannot ping any router from RouterB apart from
> Router A.

you need to make Router B an MPLS-PE device, just as router A. so you
connect Router B to the MPLS backbone, configure vpnv4 iBGP on Router B,
create the Internet VRF (you got that already) and voila.
Router B will learn all the vpnv4 routes from your VPN route reflectors
(or the iBGP vpnv4 mesh), import the Internet VRF routes into the VRF
and sets up the labels (the label part is missing when you configure the
iBGP connection the way you did, i.e. between vrf loopbacks)..

	oli