[c-nsp] IPv6 'ready' router

Gert Doering gert at greenie.muc.de
Mon Jul 18 08:54:12 EDT 2005

Hi,

On Mon, Jul 18, 2005 at 08:45:41AM -0400, Matthew Crocker wrote:
>   I was recently assigned an IPv6 address block by ARIN.  I want to
> establish some IPv6 BGP sessions with my peers, most likely using
> IPv4 tunnels.  I don't want to run IPv6 on my core routers at this
> time.   What would is the recommended starter router for IPv6?   I'll
> want 2 full IPv6 BGP views and have a /32 assigned.   Traffic will be
> non-existant at first but could grow to a couple megabit by years end.
>
> Would an eBay special 7206 work?

You need something that can run recent 12.3 IOSes, and as such, should
stay away from NPE-100, NPE-150 and NPE-200 boards (end of support).

Otherwise, anything with enough RAM and Flash will do fine... unless
you really manage to attract traffic, a 26xx or 3640 will also do the
job.  (Be careful not to leak transit to your IPv6 peers, though).

Our IPv6 tunnel router is a 4700M... :-)  (but that's a very much
non-supported configuration).

gert

                                                           //www.muc.de/~gert/
fax: +49-89-35655025                        gert at net.informatik.tu-muenchen.de