[c-nsp] Rate limiting VLANs on Cisco 6500

Ed Butler - RapidSwitch ed.butler at rapidswitch.com
Tue Jul 19 06:40:46 EDT 2005

This is my first post to this list so please be gentle. :)

We've got a Cisco 6500 with Sup720 (version 12.2(18)SXD5) and WS-X6816
modules (and DFC3a daughtercards.) We have 3 VLANs that we want to rate
limit in an incoming direction, eg they can send up to x mbits of content to
us which we will then route onto the web. Additionally, we're using a port
channel to give redundancy.

However, this is causing problems! The config I'm using is this:

=================================
class-map match-any rsall
match protocol ip
!
policy-map rs1
class rsall
police 320000000 10000000 10000000 conform-action transmit exceed-action
drop
!
interface gi4/16.228
encapsulation dot1Q 228
ip address 1.2.3.4 255.255.255.248
no cdp enable
service-policy input rs1
service-policy output rs1
=================================

When applying the service policies to the subinterface I get errors:
=================================
QoS: Cannot have more than one Match protocol filter in class rsall on
GigabitEthernet4/16.228
QoS: policy rs1 actions for class rsall are not supported on
GigabitEthernet4/16.228
QoS: Cannot have more than one Match protocol filter in class rsall on
GigabitEthernet4/16.228
QoS: Cannot have more than one Match protocol filter in class rsall on
GigabitEthernet4/16.228
=================================

Now, am I barking up the wrong tree here? What is the best way of
implementing rate limiting on our configuration? I've tried quite a few
other config examples, but all seem to have failures or errors. Something
I'm concious of is whether the WS-X6816 card actually supports rate limiting
in hardware at all, I've had a look through and can't find a concise spec
sheet for it.

Anyone with experience or suggestions is greatly apprecaited, thanks!

Regards,

Ed Butler
RapidSwitch Ltd
DDI: 020 7106 0731

RapidSwitch Ltd, 5th Floor, Sovereign House, 227 Marsh Wall, London, E14 9SD

This email message is intended only for the addressee(s) and contains
information that may be confidential and/or copyright.  If you are not the
intended recipient please notify the sender by reply email and immediately
delete this email. Use, disclosure or reproduction of this email by anyone
other than the intended recipient(s) is strictly prohibited. No
representation is made that this email or any attachments are free of
viruses. Virus scanning is recommended and is the responsibility of the
recipient.