[c-nsp] which IGRP?

Arturo Servin aservin at remoteconfig.net
Wed Jul 20 16:17:16 EDT 2005

Jeff Chan wrote:

>We're finally adding a third and possibly fourth router to our
>small network, and I'm asking for suggestions about which IGRP to
>run.  We currently have a 7513/RSP4 as our main router.  It has
>our two upstream connections.  We also have a 3640 at a public
>peering point hearing routes from a few peers there and
>announcing ours to them.  We're using iBGP between the 3640 and
>7513, but with a third router, which we would be migrating one
>uplink to, it seems we'd need to fully mesh and/or set up a route
>reflector if we wanted to continue to use iBGP as our interior
>protocol.
>
>Instead of iBGP, should we use a routing protocol optimized
>specifically for interior use such as EIGRP, OSPF, etc.?
>Or can it be done satisfactorily with iBGP and a route reflector
>setup?  (Naturally we're talking eBGP to our external peers.)
>
>Is there a standard practice for this?   IOS is 12.3(13)
>mainline everywhere.
>
>Jeff C.

    Keep iBGP for your upstream routes. If you shut the iBGP you will
have to use an IGP and you will need to redistribute the eBGP in the
IGP, bad idea. To keep track of the local router (inside your AS) I
suggest to use OSPF flat, it is the easier to have a "universal"
protocol. EIGRP could also fit you in your enviroment, it the easiest
one, but I have some backwards like the one that it is propietary and
only runs on cisco gear, but if you do not plan to use any other vendor
I think could be ok to use it. IS-IS is also good, but unless is also a
standard not many vendors supports it.

-as

--

Remote Config, The Remote Configuration Company
http://www.remoteconfig.net
contact at remoteconfig.net