[c-nsp] 7505, OC3s and BGP

Jon Lewis jlewis at lewis.org
Wed Jul 20 22:05:39 EDT 2005

On Wed, 20 Jul 2005, Rodney Dunn wrote:

> I just did a performance test with a GEIP+ and could get 400 Mbps through
> it with 1000 byte packets. Just a data point since I tested it yesterday.
> For the umteenth hundredth time. That card was never designed to do
> GIG to GIG traffic. It was simply a physical layer gig *migration*
> for aggregation router uplinks as customer migrated their cores to gig links

Right, but if you're running an ever growing network and have outgrown FE
for some of your trunks, you want real GigE, not a GigE card that costs a
fortune and isn't much more useful than a handful of FEs in a portchannel.
So at that point you've outgrown the 7500 platform.

When I was looking at upgrading, we were able to get 6500s with multiple
GE ports and a bunch of FEs for only a few times what single GEIP+'s would
cost.