[c-nsp] Design question

Eric Helm helmwork at ruraltel.net
Thu Jul 21 16:22:54 EDT 2005

Hello,
I'm looking at a solution for a rental management company.
They want to offer free internet in all their apartments. We will be
installing Cisco Aironet APs in each apartment complex.
The customer requires all traffic to tunnel back to their main office
location where it can use a single hotspot type gateway that will force
user authentication and add dhcp server functionality. Since the traffic
is internet only, and each apartment complex has no need to talk to each
other, my thoughts are to do a simple GRE tunnel at each remote site. If
GRE is a good idea, how would be the best way to go about forcing
traffic to use the GRE tunnel? I was thinking policy routing with a
configuration something like this:

interface Tunnel0
 description Connected to Main Office
 ip add 10.69.69.1 255.255.255.252
 tunnel destination xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx

interface Ethernet0
 description Connected to Apt. Complex WLAN
 ip address 10.254.1.1 255.255.255.0
 ip helper-address 10.69.69.2
 ip policy route-map http

access-list 101 permit tcp any any eq www

route-map http permit 10
 match ip address 101
 set interface Tunnel1
{or should I use 'set ip next-hop 10.69.69.2' which is the remote end of
the GRE Tunnel?}

If GRE is not a good solution, what would you recommend?

Thanks,
Eric