[c-nsp] 6509 Interface Question

Brett Frankenberger rbf+cisco-nsp at panix.com
Fri Jul 22 20:47:05 EDT 2005

Date: Fri, 22 Jul 2005 17:01:39 -0500
From: Brett Frankenberger <rbf+cisco-nsp at cisco.com>
To: cisco-nsp at puck.nether.net
Subject: Re: [c-nsp] 6509 Interface Question

On Fri, Jul 22, 2005 at 11:37:40PM +0200, Gert Doering wrote:
> Hi,
>
> On Fri, Jul 22, 2005 at 09:15:48PM +0000, Marko Milivojevic wrote:
> > > This is something that makes me wonder.
> > >
> > > Is there a way to *change* that VLAN number, if you need to?  Because
> > > you have to use that VLAN number on another link, due to external
> > > factors that you can't change?
> >
> > 	The only thing I found is "vlan internal allocation policy
> > {ascending|descending}". I guess that for all other cases, you could
> > just use SVI's, instead of L3 interfaces, couldn't you?
>
> Well, of course.  You could clear an internal VLAN number by going
> to an explict VLAN+SVI, and then use that VLAN number for whatever
> you need it for.  Sounds ugly...

Issuing "shut" on the Layer 3 interface will free up the VLAN.  You can
then configure it as a regular VLAN, and then "no shut" the Layer 3
interface (at which point it will select a different VLAN number to be
the internal-use VLAN for that interface).

(This is on SXD code.  It might or might not work that way in some older
releases ...)

     -- Brett