[c-nsp] 6509 Interface Question

Tim Stevenson tstevens at cisco.com
Sat Jul 23 12:00:07 EDT 2005

At 05:39 AM 7/23/2005, Þórhallur Hálfdánarson contended:
>What I really would like to see is a command to define a range of VLANs
>used for allocations of L3 interfaces, and ofcourse keep the asc/desc option.

Yes, this would be good.

>And, I might add, not requiring that reboot. :-)
>
>That reboot however leads me to the question: Is this dynamically assigned
>(i.e. might L3 interfaces get other VLAN id's when a switch reboots?),

yes, they might, depending on the order of configuration & other factors.

The reason you have to reboot to change this is that we need to be able to
allocate these VLANs immediately after the startup config is parsed (to
learn the allocation scheme) but before any features are allowed to
allocate internal VLANs.

I suppose in theory we could allow you to change the scheme on the fly, but
it could be incredibly disruptive to the system/network depending on your
current configuration and what's been allocated...

Tim