[c-nsp] 6509 IOS Question

Paul Stewart pstewart at nexicomgroup.net
Mon Jul 25 16:20:32 EDT 2005

Hi there...

We have a 6509 here that pushes about 80 Mb/s of traffic at peak..
Nothing major... But the CPU sits at 20% on average (on the MSFC
card)....

Had some company here today from another ISP and they average 3-4% with
a few hundred Mb/s going through their 6509 (msfc2 as well)... They run
12.1 and we're running 12.2SXD4 release... Could the IOS be a reason for
much higher CPU?  It's not causing us any grief but will down the road
with more traffic coming online shortly to that box...

Our 6509 is taking 3 full BGP feeds inbound and providing one full feed
out... OSPF on routing etc... Nothing major really.. No firewalling...

Any thoughts?

Paul Stewart