[c-nsp] Small Issue With next-hop-self for VPNv4

Tim Franklin tim at colt.net
Tue Jul 26 12:39:36 EDT 2005

> Of course i'm aware of all "nice" effects that can be caused
> by resetting NEXT_HOP at route-reflector - however in this
> particular scenario ( iBGP between PE and CE in L3VPN on
> Cisco ) using RR to reflect _AND_ reset NEXT_HOP to self is
> inevitable.
> Additionally, not only NEXT_HOP attribute during PE->CE
> "reflection" ( or rather , redistribution from VPN-IPv4 to
> IPv4 family)
> change is required but also altering NEXT_HOP within MP-NLRI
> itself is needed ( PE<->PE ). On the other hand , "other vendor"
> equipment supports iBGP on CE-PE without such dirty tricks.

Is there a reason you can't run eBGP PE-CE?  (Even private AS on the CE with
as-override on the session if you want to be tidy about it.)

Other PEs see next-hop as the egress PE (might need next-hop self towards
the core instead), the CEs on either side of the network see the next-hop as
their upstream PE.  I have something similar running here, and by and large
routing Just Works.

Regards,
Tim.

____________   Tim Franklin                 e: tim at colt.net
\C/\O/\L/\T/   Product Engineering Manager  w: www.colt.net
 V  V  V  V    Managed Data Services        t: +44 20 7863 5714
Data | Voice | Managed Services             f: +44 20 7863 5876