[c-nsp] Routing table

Gert Doering gert at greenie.muc.de
Tue Jul 26 16:47:10 EDT 2005

Hi,

On Tue, Jul 26, 2005 at 11:28:21PM +0300, Jean-Christophe Varaillon wrote:
> >  are you aware of a problem occurring?
>
> The CPU is flirting with the 35% at peack hours.
>
> fa0/1                  fa0/2
> ---|----Router----|---Internet
>
> Only, it would have be usefull if I could configure the router to say that
> traffic coming to fa0/2 has to use the FIB-1 and traffic coming to fa0/1 has
> to use the FIB-2.

If you have CEF switching enabled, the number of routes in the system
does not have any effect on the time needed to lookup a given destination.

Just abandon this train of thoughts.

"Too many routes" will slow down BGP convergence, and eat up gobs of
memory, but will *NOT* make the packet forwarding slower (if CEF is
enabled - if not, do so).

> Any way, I will use the "ip flow-cache feature-accelerate" where the cache
> memory will be more efficiently used and I expect the CPU to decrease.

flow feature-acceleration is likely to be one of the most misunderstood
features.  Believe me.

It's likely to *increase* CPU usage for you, and it will start *using*
"cache memory" - CEF doesn't use any sort of "route cache" memory, so
there's no need to do it efficiently.

gert
                                                           //www.muc.de/~gert/
fax: +49-89-35655025                        gert at net.informatik.tu-muenchen.de