[c-nsp] Best practices

Tim Franklin tim at colt.net
Wed Jul 27 09:28:24 EDT 2005

> > Hi all. I'd like to know if it's a best practice to reload
> a 7513 router
> > after a PA insertion in a VIP.
>
> You can, but it's not necessary if you use stable code :-)

And depending on the code, the router may sometimes make the decision on
your behalf.  Also, prepare for the possibility of 'cbus complex' and
everything stopping for a number of seconds.

> Just remember that you have to eject the VIP from the
> chassis, insert the
> PA into the VIP, then re-insert the VIP.  VIPs are hot
> swappable, but the
> individual PAs aren't.

This is something important to take into account when deploying 75xx - sit
down and plan how to spread your PAs across the VIPs before you start,
including future expansion.

Having a PA fail, and realising that to swap it out you have to also take
down a card full of customers, or worst case the back-up link for the failed
card has been known to cause more than a slight outpouring of expletives ;)

Regards,
Tim.

____________   Tim Franklin                 e: tim at colt.net
\C/\O/\L/\T/   Product Engineering Manager  w: www.colt.net
 V  V  V  V    Managed Data Services        t: +44 20 7863 5714
Data | Voice | Managed Services             f: +44 20 7863 5876