[c-nsp] Old gear question - Sup IIIG w/RSFC vs. RSM w/NFFC

Robert Boyle robert at tellurian.com
Wed Jun 1 07:47:16 EDT 2005

Hello all,

We have a few old Catalyst 5500s to which we need to add L3 routing since
100Mbit trunks are now getting saturated and we want to have redundancy
with VRRP/HSRP. We have both RSMs (w/NFFC2) and Sup IIIGs with RSFCs
available. I know they are both EOL. The RSFC seems to be much higher
performance according to the specs, but Cisco stopped at IOS 12.1. The RSMs
support 12.2, but are slower. I'm just wondering what experiences folks
have had with these two options and which way I should go for moderate
bandwidth colo switching/routing - up to a total potential of a couple
hundred Mbit/s inter-VLAN L3 routing. Some small ACLs will be used on some
VLANs. The RSMs seem to be limited to about 150Mbit/s (accelerated to wire
speed with the NFFC2), while the RSFC can do 2Gbit/s? It just seems odd to
me that Cisco would have two very similar products which do the same thing
in different ways. Any tips and real world experience as to which is a
better solution would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

-Robert

http://www.tellurian.com | 888-TELLURIAN | 973-300-9211
"Well done is better than well said." - Benjamin Franklin