[c-nsp] Re: Cisco 7600 vs Juniper M7i

Hank Nussbacher hank at efes.iucc.ac.il
Thu Jun 2 13:09:34 EDT 2005

At 08:34 AM 02-06-05 -0400, Robert Blayzor wrote:

>If you start exceeding the route processors capabilities you can add
>DFC's right to the line card and it scales right into a full distributed
>forwarding router.  This will give you full wirespeed ACL's and QoS
>without a problem. (so long as you don't exceed the slot bandwidth limit
>which I believe is 40Gbps per slot)

We too bought a 7613 with SUP720/3BXL and for the GEs we bought a 48 port
WS-X6748-GE-TX along with a DFC - WS-F6700-DFC3BXL.  Adding in the DFC
doubled the price per port for us.

I am curious if the Meircom test 7604 was using a DFC or not.  Somehow,
based on their numbers, I believe they were using a DFC card since I don't
believe they could reach the numbers stated without it.  And if they did
reach those numbers w/o the DFC card, what the hell are we buying them for?

And if they were using a DFC card, then they are extremely negligent in not
stating it in the report.

-Hank