[c-nsp] Rapid and classic Spanning Tree Interoperation/Migration

Matt Buford matt at overloaded.net
Fri Jun 3 17:14:28 EDT 2005

It works ok for a short migration, but it isn't something I would recommend
running longer than you have to.

The big catch is that (as I understand it) a topology change on RSTP (link
change on a non-edge port) resets the spanning tree state of all non-edge
ports.  I can't remember anymore if this was only on the same switch, or
network-wide.  When speaking to other RSTP devices, it reconverges almost
instantly.  When speaking to an original STP speaker, you have the whole
listen/learn delay to sit through before communication is reestablished.

This means touch a RSTP backbone link, and watch every single STP speaker
drop off your network for 30+ seconds.

This also means that it is essential that you always designate edge ports
for things like routers and hosts with the portfast command.  Non-STP
speakers have to sit through the whole listen/learn delay too.

I found this the hard way when I forgot to set portfast for a single server
and also had not set portfast for a tagged link to one of my routers.  My
router kept dropping off the net, and eventually I noticed it happened every
time I rebooted a specific server.  Switching both of them to portfast
solved the issue.

I still have the issue with the boundary point between the main RSTP network
and the small amount of my network that is original STP.  However, I almost
never have RSTP topology changes so it isn't much of an issue and will
hopefully all be gone soon anyway.