[c-nsp] Re: Re: URPF on small BGP-enabled customers?

Andrew Fort afort at choqolat.org
Fri Jun 3 18:18:40 EDT 2005

On 04/06/2005, at 5:40 AM, David J. Hughes wrote:

> Or better still, receive default along with the rest of your desired
> table from the transit provider and drop the pref on that as it passes
> the border.  Static defaults can bite you on the arse if something
> happens to the box at the other end of the link.  Nothing worse than
> following a default you generate just to see the traffic get black
> holed.

yeah, this is a very common trap.  as a provider delivering ip
services entirely on switched ethernet, we always make sure to
mention to folks not to use static defaults towards us when bringing
up redundant sessions.  but its certainly not a new trap - i remember
when i was green and it happened to me on an FDDI circuit (that i
only found out at the time was switched through a cat5000)... utz.

-andrew