[c-nsp] Re: URPF on small BGP-enabled customers?

John Osmon josmon at rigozsaurus.com
Fri Jun 3 21:44:42 EDT 2005

On Fri, Jun 03, 2005 at 04:35:39PM -0400, Joe Maimon wrote:
[...]
> You want people to reach your network it is your responsibility to get
> YOUR prefix routes over to them. It is not their responsibility to hack
> in a default routes and what not.

The vast majority of networks have a single basic policy:
  If it isn't mine, give it to my upstream -- they know
  about everything.

A very few (by number) network policies inlclude the idea
of listening for advertised prefixes.

If a given network decides that they don't need a default, I'd tend to
think that they've probably got peering with everyone they care about.  If
I'm not in that group of peers, I probably won't miss them if they miss an
advertisement from me due to single-homing, etc.