[c-nsp] dead npe?

Paul Cairney lists at cairney.me.uk
Mon Jun 6 20:10:11 EDT 2005

I recently took delivery of a refurb npe-300 (sold as "unpacked to check
contents and carry out basic tests and has not been installed in a
working environment.") however seems DOA.

Just want to check the symptoms to see if this is consistent with the
diagnosis (never had a npe die yet) and see if anyone has any
suggestions for other causes or things to try.

Hardware is 7204vxr,I have tried multiple c7200-io-fe's and flash disks,
removing all the PA's and even swapping both banks of ram from the units
current working npe-300. Obviously i have reseated everything i can
think of, swapped between the good npe many times. Board seems fine
physically, no cracks or damaged looking components,

Symptoms are the unit will power up, 'io power' led comes on however
none of the interface led's light or anything on consol.

I tried deliberately badly seating the known good npe and the unit
behaved like no npe was present (ie psu led flashes and the unit does
not power on), dont want to repeat this as im worried initially powering
on the unit with the new npe badly seated cold have caused this.

Aside from the chassis (only got one vxr), I have swapped every other
component and am pretty resined to the conclusion it is DOA. Im just
glad this was intended as a spare rather than replacement.

Anyone care to offer any suggestions about exactly what part of the npe
has gone wrong, or is it worth attempting to re-seat it a few more times?

Regards,

Paul