[c-nsp] BGP enhancemens coming to 12.2S?

Gert Doering gert at greenie.muc.de
Tue Jun 7 17:12:41 EDT 2005

Hi,

does anybody know (more precise: is permitted to speak about) a timeline
when some of the really useful BGP enhancements from 12.0S will appear
in 12.2S?

Namely:

  - removal of the BGP scanner CPU hog

  - working "continue" statement in outbound route-maps

The second one bit me painful today, and the first one is a continuous
nuisance when trying to get an accurate picture on actual router CPU
usage.

<rant>
As for "why are you using 12.2S"?  Because Cisco in their infinite wisdom
decided that 12.0S isn't going to get IPv6 on 7200s and 7500s.  And we're
offering commercial IPv6 services.

Futhermore, as far as I understand the roadmap, 12.2S is supposed to be
"better" for ISPs than 12.3/12.3T/12.4 (as in "more of the 'right' features,
less bugs in the ISP-essential features").  But maybe that's wrong, and
"S" really stands for "these people are used to the pain"...
</rant>

gert
                                                           //www.muc.de/~gert/
fax: +49-89-35655025                        gert at net.informatik.tu-muenchen.de