[c-nsp] More routed ethernet interfaces on 2800 series

Kevin Graham mahargk at gmail.com
Wed Jun 8 14:59:39 EDT 2005

On 6/8/05, Sam Stickland <sam_ml at spacething.org> wrote:

> I'm assuming that these ethernet switching modules don't report their
> status separately to IOS, and show up like the 4-port switch on the 837,
> which is simply seen as Ethernet0 (Only one 1 IP address supported, no
> dot1q subinterfaces, all ports permamently auto-sensing).

Haven't used an 837, but the ports are listed distinctly (though they
are still switchports, so you can't do .q1 subints). From a
HWIC-9ESW-POE:

#sh int desc | inc ^Fa
Fa0/1/0                        admin down     down
Fa0/1/1                        admin down     down
Fa0/1/2                        admin down     down
Fa0/1/3                        admin down     down
Fa0/1/4                        admin down     down
Fa0/1/5                        admin down     down
Fa0/1/6                        admin down     down
Fa0/1/7                        admin down     down
Fa0/1/8                        admin down     down

...as mentioned a few weeks back, the one problem I have w/ them is
there's presently no support for internal VLAN/SVI allocation to allow
them to be 'no switchport'ed, so treating them as L3 ports requires
assigning a vlan and configuring a SVI.