[c-nsp] BGP enhancemens coming to 12.2S?

Thomas Kernen thomas at ip-man.net
Thu Jun 9 03:04:00 EDT 2005

>> does anybody know (more precise: is permitted to speak about) a
>> timeline when some of the really useful BGP enhancements from 12.0S
> will appear
>> in 12.2S?
>>
>> Namely:
>>
>>   - removal of the BGP scanner CPU hog
>
> Not sure what you are referring to, but the BGP next-hop tracker which
> uses an event-driven mechanism to track next-hop changes, is planned
> for
> 12.2(7th)S (can't give a timeline yet).
> Note: This will NOT remove the BGP scanner. It continues to be there,
> it
> continues to use up CPU cycles if it can (it is a low-prio process),
> we
> just don't need to wait for the periodic scanner to process next-hop
> changes/removal.

I think Gert is refering to the following feature in the 12.0S train
which I would also like to see ported to the 12.2S train
"BGP Support for Next-Hop Address Tracking" which you mentioned in your
email to the list on March 14th and would remove some of the burden
related to the BGP scanner and the 60secs CPU peaks.

Thomas