[c-nsp] Difference between PA-FE-TXs.

Ryan O'Connell ryan at complicity.co.uk
Thu Jun 9 05:30:30 EDT 2005

On 09/06/2005 09:50, Roman Emelyanov wrote:

>	Hello!
>
>Could anybody tell me what is the difference between
>PA-FE-TX HW 1.0, PA-FE-TX-nISL HW 1.0, PA-FE-TX HW 1.04 and PA-FE-TX HW 1.2
>Except handle?
>
>Also PA-FE-TX-nISL have only one "big chip". (U16 chip is missing).
>Does anyone know what that chip does?

The ISL cards are slower than the non-ISL cards - from memory, they're
designed to bridge to/from Token Ring so the design speed is 16Mb/s each
way per port. (They'll manage quite a lot more in production, but you'll
never get the 95Mb/s sustained you can get from a PA-FE-TX)

As to variations within the PA-FE-TX series - I don't know specifics,
but you may find that early cards react badly to HSRP with default
timers as some of the early FE chipsets had to have the chip completely
reprogrammed (Dropping the link in the process) whenever a MAC address
changed on the card. (And also under other situations too, not just with
HSRP, such as making changes to subinterfaces etc.) Personally, I've
only seen this on I/O engine cards but I *believe* it may apply to some
early PA-FE-TX too.

--
         Ryan O'Connell - CCIE #8174
<ryan at complicity.co.uk> - http://www.complicity.co.uk

I'm not losing my mind, no I'm not changing my lines,
I'm just learning new things with the passage of time