[c-nsp] Modern BGP peering border router and DDoS attack defense recommendations?

Sam Crooks sam.a.crooks at gmail.com
Thu Jun 9 14:53:03 EDT 2005

I understand the issues with access port speed.  The app needs maybe 2
T1.. I am trying to get a feel for the minimum access port speed to
not fall over from a trivial DDoS attack (so I can make the business
case to those who write the checks) and will otherwise balk at MRC of
$20K/month (or more) for access, when $1k was fine for the past 5
years and $60K for each border router when a $0k router (single SP
managed router) does the job (from their quick perusal of the
datasheet)... thus trying to get a feel for acceptable minimums for
the border router.

I am all in favor of colo (colo'd in one location currently, with
standby at corp campus), however, I don't write the checks.... my
preference is colo the standby site as well to resolve serious power
and connectivity access issues at the campus, pay the software fees to
make the application backend active-active, load balance the
application traffic across both, provisioning a 3rd location in
another region once it comes time for that (both locations active and
standby are currently in the same metro area... nice for easy
interconnectivity... bad bad bad (imho) for regional power, disaster
and telecom issues... but again.... it is a money issue..... the
better the resiliency, the more it costs....

I am having a hard time nailing down a project budget, since it is a
new business market being entered, the company it fully privately
owned, and the margins are extremely high for the overhead... and
they've been doing it for years...

My plan is to present 3 solutions... bare minimum (and pick it apart),
medium (caveats for scaling timeframe based on unknown sales and
growth), and large (no scaling needed in equipment department for say,
2 years minimum, with caveat that that estimate is based on sales of
xyz... exceeding these sales would mean being able to pay for
infrastructure and bandwidth upgrades 4000 times over.

Sam