[c-nsp] rj45 terminal servers

Ted Mittelstaedt tedm at toybox.placo.com
Fri Jun 10 04:56:20 EDT 2005

I wouldn't trust the 2511-rj that is listed on Ebay now, the
initial bid was $50 followed quickly by a bid from an Ebay
userID with a 3 rating for $400.  Most likely it's a dealer who
is using a shill account to capture unwary bidders.  A lot of them
do that, it is similar to setting a low initial bid with a reserve,
except that when they do it this way the listing has no reserve
indicated.

If you look the seller did the same trick last week, and about 2 weeks
earlier had it listed for something like $800 with no takers.

A more realistic pricing is along the lines of auctions
5776994027 which went for $450 and

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=73321&item=5776994
027&rd=1

5777518799

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=67313&item=5777518
799&rd=1

which went for $495.

In any case, I just logged into Cisco refurb and list on a AS2511-RJ-RF
is $1846.00 and even if your getting a 50% discount (which I think only
the biggest Cisco DVAR gets) we are still talking $923 which is double
the price that an honest Ebay auction is (although, honest ebay auction
is
a contradiction in terms, I know)  And most of us are lucky to get 25%
off list, if that, we just don't buy enough from Cisco for anything
greater.

The problem with Cisco refurb is stuff like part# CISCO678-RF which they
have listed for $339.00  Well, this is a part that was never sold through
distribution it was OEMed to telcos for about $150, who sold them for
$199 generally, and sells today on Ebay for under $50.  Cisco Refurb
inventory shows 237 of those in stock and I recall seeing the same
inventory figure about 3 months ago on those.

I suppose the Cisco Refurb warehouse must be using stacks of those for
furniture or something, that is why they don't want to get rid of them.

Ted