[c-nsp] Modern BGP peering border router and DDoS attack defense recommendations?

Sam Crooks sam.a.crooks at gmail.com
Fri Jun 10 17:20:50 EDT 2005

Thanks for the input...

I am evaluating shared DDoS as a purchased service, and potentially as
a purchased appliance, but your solution is not feasible (L2 switches)
for the application, as security requirements dictate a well defined
and secure border.  Not a website, more of a sevice offering accepting
transactions over the Internet and gateway-ing them to a different
type of functional services network.  Initial bandwidth is NxT1....
expected to scale up to (hopefully) OC-x or NxGbps level over time...
the fuzzy-factors are what timeframe, and margin on services provided
over the infrastructure.... (ie: if initial immediate profit is $50M
USD, expected to grow, it makes no sense at all to even consider say
7304 vs 7600, as the cost factor is maybe 8 (???) but a much smaller
fraction of the profit the equipment produces, than if say the initial
immediate profit were $500k USD)..

Make sense?

I don't have enough information to make an informed business decision
(it is being very closely held), so I am trying to craft a bare
minimum, a medium and a large scale option (2 variants each, multi
vendor and single vendor).... since I don't have and possibly won't be
given the proper financials... this seems to be my best approach....