[c-nsp] Catalyst 3550 bandwidth limit per vlan

Per Carlson ml at carlson.homeunix.net
Sat Jun 11 05:12:53 EDT 2005

Alain Cocconi wrote:

> I'm searching how to limit bandwidth on a vlan subinterface in a C3550, I
> know hos to do it with router, but this is not working for the catalyst (it
> say thats policy is not permit on suninterface).
> Does anyone knows how to do it ?

Depends on what are you trying to achieve:

Yes, you can attach a policer for a specific Vlan on a specific physical
interface. I doubt you can police the traffic on a specific Vlan
spanning several physical ports to a common limit.

No, you can't apply a policer on a Vlan interface (SVI). But can police
the traffic on the physical port, and still use the SVI.

Configuration guides for the "Yes" case are to be found on
www.cisco.com: Products & Solutions -> Switches -> 3550. In the right
sidebar there is a "Configuration" link. Select the proper IOS and
choose "Configuring QoS".

Here is a direct link for 12.1(20)EA:
http://www.cisco.com/en/US/products/hw/switches/ps646/products_configuration_guide_chapter09186a0080212067.html

--