[c-nsp] 6500: MPLS and Netflow coexistance questions

Ian Cox icox at cisco.com
Mon Jun 13 18:04:03 EDT 2005

At 05:30 PM 6/10/2005 +0400, Alexandre Snarskii wrote:

>Hi!
>
>Can anybody comment my assumptions on coexistence of MPLS switching
>and Netflow on 65xx series (with sup2, mpls switching on ge-wan
>cards, ios version 12.2.17SXD8)
>(Sorry for asking there, but that topic is either not covered on
>www.cisco.com, or at least i was unable to find documentation :(
>Any links to documentation will be highly appreciated)
>
>a) L3 routed ip packets, which entered switch unlabeled and then forwarded
>over mpls path - get recorded into netflow table.

Yes, if they are in the global table with Sup2. If the arrive on a
vrf interfaces then no netflow statistics are recorded with Sup2.
Netflow statistics are recorded with Sup720 3b/bXL for packets
arriving on vrf interfaces.

>b) MPLS switched (i.e., packets, entered router being labeled, and
>exited router being labeled too) packets does not getting into the
>netflow table. (May be, in some next release with netflow v9 they
>will be, but not with the current 12.2.17sxd - 12.2.18sx releases..)

This can not be supported with Sup2 or Sup720 hardware. This is what
is referred to as MPLS Aware Netflow, and it not supported.

>c) Packets, which entered switch labeled and then label removed
>and packet forwarded unlabeled by default not recorded into netflow
>table, and you need to explicitely configure 'mpls netflow egress'
>on egress interface for that packets to be recorded in netflow table
>(also, interesting question is that is this feature supported for
>6500: feature navigator says 'no', but for the same ios number/featureset
>for 7600 it says 'yes').

Not supportable for Sup2. Will be supported for vrf interfaces on
Sup720 3b/3bXL in a future release.

>d) packets, entering and exiting EoMPLS crossconnects are not entering
>netflow table.

Not Supported. You can just look at the packet and bytes switched on
a per vc basis.

Ian