[c-nsp] Modern BGP peering border router and DDoS attack defense recommendations?

Andrew Fort afort at choqolat.org
Thu Jun 16 03:11:11 EDT 2005

Mark Prior wrote:
> On 09/06/2005, at 12:08 PM, Nick Shah wrote:
>
> Hi Nick,
>

>>Generally speaking a 7200 is a swiss army knife among routers, not too
>>small for an ISP edge router, and not to big for an enterprise and
>>offers virtually every interface support needed (DS0 right upto STM1,
>>GIGE etc.)
>

> The major problem with it for me is it's lack of real jumbo frame
> support on Ethernet, 4470 isn't a jumbo to me. That not even a
> 7206VXR/NPE-G1 supports jumbos is a crime against the Internet.
>
> Mark.

Mark's mentioned this before, and I find it more amusing every time..

When there's switches involved in delivering an IP service (you know,
those 3550 type things that people like deploying for >=100Mbit/sec
access on metro networks), 4470 can seem like Mt. Everest....

3550-24 = 1546.
3550-12G = 2000. (?)
3750M = "up to 9k", but this is (IIRC) only for gig.  100Mbit ports are
1546 if my hazy memory is right.

Not even being able to deliver an 1500-byte Ethernet payload frame via
L2TPv3 on this kind of kit is equally a crime, depending on your context.

At least 1546 will get you some a couple of MPLS labels and some .1q
tags.  Bless em.

-andrew