[c-nsp] VLAN's

Justin M. Streiner streiner at cluebyfour.org
Thu Jun 16 16:57:49 EDT 2005

On Thu, 16 Jun 2005, Kevin Warwashana wrote:

> I am curious if someone can help me out.  I am trying to connect a 12008
> (3-GE card) to a Cat3550 and setup dot1q VLANS.  I am unable to ping the
> switch when I setup a sub interface on the 12008.  Below is my
> configuration.  Thanks in advance!
>

> 12008
> interface GigabitEthernet3/1
> no ip address
> ip directed-broadcast
> negotiation auto
> no cdp enable
> !
> interface GigabitEthernet3/1.1
> description GigEthernet to 3550
> encapsulation dot1Q 1

Try changing this to "encapsulation dot1q 1 native" and make VLAN 1 the
native VLAN on the trunk to the 12000 on your 3550.  See below.

> ip address 10.10.1.1 255.255.255.252
> no ip directed-broadcast
> no cdp enable
>
> 3550
> interface GigabitEthernet0/1
> switchport trunk encapsulation dot1q
> switchport mode trunk

add this to the interface config on your trunk:
switchport trunk native vlan 1
switchport trunk allowed vlan 1

You need to specify what VLAN tags are allowed to propagate over the
trunk.

Hope this helps
jms