[c-nsp] Question on GSR

Arie Vayner arievayner at gmail.com
Fri Jun 17 06:42:10 EDT 2005

The 3GE card is very limited in features, and you would be hitting
problem after problem with it. Look at the 4GE instead.

The 3750 switches or the older 3550 can do quite a lot of what you
need, but with some limitations - you could try to look at them more
closely if the price is right for you, and maybe find some work
arounds (like applying QOS on the actual port and not on a dot1q vlan)

Another option you could look at is the 7301 or another 7200/NPE G1.
There is a cheaper platform called 7301, which is the same CPU like
the NPEG1, which 3 GigE ports and all, but with only 1 PA slot and
takes 1U of rack space. You could consider just using several of these
and split the traffic between them.
It's always better to be able to scale with more boxes instead of one
larger box (you would run out of "bigger boxes" in the end...)

Arie