[c-nsp] Strange RIP behaviour

Marco Matarazzo marmata at libero.it
Mon Jun 20 03:23:45 EDT 2005

Hi Michael,

>> This is the relevant sanitized config:
>>
>> interface FastEthernet0/35
>>  ip address 1.2.3.4 255.255.255.252
>>
>> ip route 1.6.7.8 255.255.255.240 1.2.3.4

>How close is this santized configuration to reality?  You have a
> network address configured on the FastEthernet interface and a static
> route pointed at it, as opposed to the customer's side.

You're absolutely right, I sanitezed incorrectly that statement. Of course
the stati router correcty points to the customer side address, call it
1.2.3.5. This configuration has worked for many months, it only happened
once that the stati router was marked possibly down, and I still can't think
of a situation in which this could happen. If the connected interface is up,
why on earth could happen that the static route pointed to that interface
would go in possibly down state?

Cheers,
]\/[arco