[c-nsp] BGP table growth and memory

Tony Li tony.li at tony.li
Mon Jun 20 13:57:15 EDT 2005

Rick,

> I've watched the BGP table increase by about 30K entries over the last
> year, and memory on a 7206 drop by about 20MB, with about 40MB still
> available.
>
> Is there any way of estimating base/operating memory requirements based on
> table size, number of peers, etc?  Is 256MB only OK "for another 2-3
> years", or am I turning myself into Chicken Little?

What you're really asking is how fast the BGP table will increase.

>From the data that you already have, yes your guess seems about right,
and given that your situation (set of peers, multipath links, filtering,
etc.) is unique, it's probably the best estimate that anyone can give you.

If you're looking for a definitive answer, you might consider getting a
tarot reading.  ;-)

Tony