[c-nsp] BGP table growth and memory

Jon Lewis jlewis at lewis.org
Mon Jun 20 19:15:53 EDT 2005

On Mon, 20 Jun 2005, Gert Doering wrote:

> <rant>
> 256 Mb will last for "another 2-3 years" if people would finally start
> to *care* what sort of garbage they announce into the routing table.
>
> Unfortunately, these days it seems to be "pretty normal" to have a /19
> and announce it as 32 x /24, and similar garbage that has no benefit
> for anyone.

Some part of this is just customer ignorance and lax providers.  I helped
someone a few months ago who'd been BGP connected to Sprint and Qwest
announcing what subnets he was using from more than a /19 worth of space
all as /24s...for no reason other than the guy who helped him with BGP did
it that way.  When he got BGP connected to us, I told him that just
wouldn't do, and I redid his config into the minimum # of advertisements
necessary for the CIDRs he had.  Now why didn't anyone from Sprint or
Qwest do that (or at least tell him to go hire someone to do it for him)?