[c-nsp] 7206VXR Rebooting (heat related)

Jay Hennigan jay at west.net
Mon Jun 20 22:12:20 EDT 2005

On Mon, 20 Jun 2005, Steve Coleman wrote:

> I have a 7206VXR that is extremely sensitive to heat.  We had a hot day today (93 outside), and our primary A/C failed, so our server room got warm (85 'ish) before the A/C was fixed.  Anytime the ambient air gets above about 80, the 7206 starts to reboot itself every 5 to 10 minutes.
>
> Why is this router so sensitive?  Any thoughts on this?

Some component or solder joint is failing.  The crashdump might help to
isolate it to a specific card.  Back in the days of component-level
electronic troubleshooting we would use a heat gun to warm a circuit board
and then canned freeze spray (Freon 12, now very politically incorrect) to
chill one part at a time until it came back in order to figure out what
part to replace.  Today you'll typically just isolate it to a board.

If it's under Smartnet you should be able to get a replacement router or
module if the crashdump can isolate it.  Could be as simple as a thermally
fragile memory stick.

Jay Hennigan - CCIE #7880 - Network Administration - jay at west.net
WestNet:  Connecting you to the planet.  805 884-6323      WB6RDV
NetLojix Communications, Inc.  -  http://www.netlojix.com/