[c-nsp] BGP table growth and memory

David J. Hughes bambi at Hughes.com.au
Tue Jun 21 18:34:38 EDT 2005

On 22/06/2005, at 3:03 AM, lee.e.rian at census.gov wrote:

> Could you explain how it would work again?  I didn't attach a case to
> the
> feature request because I didn't understand all the implications of not
> installing a more specific route if a less specific existed.

In short, if you receive more than one prefix covering the same range
then the less specific is installed.  I want to restrict that the
multiple prefixes covering the same range with the same next-hop but
that would best be another knob in the config.  Randy didn't want the
next-hop test a he was particularly disinterested in supporting other
peoples traffic engineering efforts :)

> My understanding is that even with this new feature it wouldn't make
> any
> difference to the routing table size if somebody advertised their /19
> as 32
> x /24.  Correct?

Correct.  However, lots of people do still advertise their aggregates.
If they announce the /19 as well as the 32 * /24's then we drop the
/24's in favor of the /19.  Sounds like nirvana to me (and might keep
your older NPE's running much, much longer).

David