[c-nsp] IP unnumbered question. Are isp's using this alot?

Joseph Jackson JJackson at nos.com
Wed Jun 22 20:13:52 EDT 2005

Hi all,

            My company just got a new t1 line from a different isp than our
main one for backup incase the primary fails.  When they gave me the ip
address info I noticed that there wasn't anything listed for the wan side of
the router.  When I called to ask about this they informed me that on their
edge devices they do not give ip addresses and I must use the ip unnumbered
command.  What I am getting at here is is this common for ISP's to do now?
Is this a trend that has been gaining ground?  When I spoke to my boss about
this he wasn't too happy.  The other circuits that we have for internet
access all came with an ip to use for the wan interface. Even a circuit from
the same company that we use for a whole other network has a wan ip address.
Anyone else see this a lot?

Thanks

Joseph Jackson