[c-nsp] Cisco WCCP and Squid on Linux

Dave Weis djweis at internetsolver.com
Sun Jun 26 23:42:43 EDT 2005

On Mon, 27 Jun 2005, Reuben Farrelly wrote:
> Hi Dave,
> Dave Weis wrote, On 27/06/2005 2:32 p.m.:
>> Does anyone have working together? I've got a client that has 2x ADSL WIC's
>> in a 2600 but we can't get wccp to work. The GRE tunnel comes up and
>> chatters, but we get no requests over the tunnel. The relevant parts in the
>> router config are:
>>
>> ip wccp version 1
>> ip wccp web-cache
>>
>> interface dialer0
>>  	ip wccp web-cache redirect out
>
> Looks basically ok.  yes, I have the same as you have working just fine.
> What version of code are you running?  In my experience WCCP has gotten
> progressively broken with the 12.3T series from 12.3(7)T onwards.  The 12.3
> mainline releases are OK I think.

Version 12.3(13)

> Is your cache on the same interface as the client browsers are on?

Yes, it's a very simple network, 1 Cisco router, 1 Squid server, and 1
3Com total control chassis.

> Are you using the WCCP kernel module or the ip_gre interface under Linux?

It looks like ip_gre

> Can you manually configure a browser to use the proxy?

Yes

> Can you surf from the proxy itself?

Yes

> Are you using NAT?

No. We have two sites that we are trying to make this work on, one has
just the setup above, the other has a web server also. When we first tried
to set it up we broke all inbound access, so we are starting with the
simple config.

> Heaps of questions (sorry), WCCP is a bit fiddly at the best of times but
> works well once it's actually installed and working.  There are a few gotchas
> with it...

I've seen :-)

dave

--