[c-nsp] ONS-CATALYST GigEth problem

morph morph at 0z0ne.com
Mon Jun 27 09:17:42 EDT 2005

Hi all!

I have a 4507 connected to an ONS 15530.
I have no experience in ONS so I want to share with you my problem to
see the light :P

The problem is that a gigabit ethernet link between them is not up in
both sides (It´s not a DWDM problem related).
I mean... in the ONS gigabit link I can see is up (L2 and L3 layers) in
the Catalyst side I see it down.
So, can someone give me a tip of what´s wrong with my config?. The wires
seem to be fine.

Here is the sh int at the ONS side and the configuration of the interface:

sh  interface GigabitPhy7/0/4
GigabitPhy7/0/4 is up, line protocol is up
  Optical Transceiver: Multi-Mode
  Signal quality: Good
  Client Laser Status: Down due to Keep-alive timeout
  Encapsulation: GigabitEthernet
     auto negotiation: enabled, but not complete.
  Time of last "encapsulation" change never
  Forward laser control: On
  Flow-identifier: 5
  Loopback not set
  Protection Mode: None    Interface state: Active
  Threshold monitored for: None
  Received Frames: 0
  Received Bytes: 0
  Transmit Frames: 0
  Transmit Bytes: 0
  Code violation and running disparity error count( 8b10b cvrd): 4312502096
  RX CRC errors: 0
  TX CRC errors: 0
  Giant Packets: 0
  Runt Packets: 0
  5 minute input rate 0 bits/sec, 0 frames/sec
  5 minute output rate 0 bits/sec, 0 frames/sec
  MTU size is 10232 bytes
  Hardware is gige_fc_phy_port

interface GigabitPhy7/0/4
 no ip address
 encapsulation gigabitEthernet
 negotiation auto
 cdl flow identifier 5
 laser control forward enable
!

Here is the sh int at the 4507 side and the configuration of the interface:

sh interface GigabitEthernet1/1
GigabitEthernet1/1 is down, line protocol is down (notconnect)
  Hardware is Gigabit Ethernet Port, address is 000f.2434.8e00 (bia
000f.2434.8e00)
  MTU 1500 bytes, BW 1000000 Kbit, DLY 10 usec,
     reliability 255/255, txload 1/255, rxload 1/255
  Encapsulation ARPA, loopback not set
  Keepalive set (10 sec)
  Full-duplex, 1000Mb/s, media type is SX
  input flow-control is off, output flow-control is off
  ARP type: ARPA, ARP Timeout 04:00:00
  Last input 1y8w, output never, output hang never
  Last clearing of "show interface" counters 00:09:13
  Input queue: 0/2000/0/0 (size/max/drops/flushes); Total output drops: 0
  Queueing strategy: fifo
  Output queue: 0/40 (size/max)
     0 packets input, 0 bytes, 0 no buffer
     Received 0 broadcasts (0 multicast)
     25 runts, 0 giants, 0 throttles
     0 packets output, 0 bytes, 0 underruns
     0 babbles, 0 late collision, 0 deferred
     0 lost carrier, 0 no carrier

interface GigabitEthernet1/1
  switchport trunk encapsulation dot1q
 switchport trunk allowed vlan 1,20,99-799
 switchport mode trunk
 speed nonegotiate
 flowcontrol send desired
 spanning-tree portfast disable