[c-nsp] multicast on layer 2

Andrew K Ho aho at yorku.ca
Mon Jun 27 10:35:57 EDT 2005

Yes, I'm aware of the fact that every frame will be broadcast, but our
"planners" have "decided" it should be "that way."  I better stop there or
else everything I say will be in quotes :)  I'll pursue the PIM route but
as far as I was guessing, the server would have taken care of that,
otherwise, how would it work without a router interface or on a purely
layer 2 setup--i.e. using a hub only?

Thx again.

Andy

"Tantsura, Jeff" <jtantsura at ugceurope.com>
06/27/2005 10:14 AM

"'Andrew K Ho'" <aho at yorku.ca>, Tim Stevenson <tstevens at cisco.com>
cc
cisco-nsp at puck.nether.net
Subject
RE: [c-nsp] multicast on layer 2

Presence of layer 3 interface on the same VLAN could change the picture.
Since sources and receivers would register on it enabling PIM could help.
Could you test it with PIM enabled and let me know whether it helped?

BTW without IGMP snooping there's no point in using multicast, in fact
switch will broadcast every multicast frame.

--
Jeff Tantsura  CCIE# 11416
Senior IP Network Engineer