[c-nsp] Cisco WCCP and Squid on Linux

Mark Tinka mtinka at africaonline.co.sz
Tue Jun 28 05:30:00 EDT 2005

On Monday 27 June 2005 13:20, Reuben Farrelly wrote:

> It does from kernel 2.6.10 onwards.  It's actually
> easier to do it with the ip_gre module if the kernel
> supports it (I've used both - using the built in
> ip_gre module means you never have to rebuild ip_wccp
> every time your kernel changes).

Oh really? I tried using the ip_gre module before with a
gre0 interface, but that didn't seem to work.

I'd be happy to use the ip_gre module, as, like you say,
updating the kernel would mean I'm free from having to
recompile the ip_wccp module; and since it's built
correctly in the kernel, it's more likely work off the
bat than ip_wccp would.

My current kernel version is 2.6.5, so I don't think
ip_gre will satisfy me. I'll soon be upgrading my OS and
will be running 2.6.11; I trust that will have the
support you mention.

Do you have an implementation schedule? Like firewall
rules for GRE, interface configurations, kernel patches
if necessary, Squid configurations e.t.c., and any other
gotchas?

Mark.