[c-nsp] Visible bug IDs and Cisco service requests

Jared Mauch jared at puck.nether.net
Wed Jun 29 12:39:49 EDT 2005

On Tue, Jun 28, 2005 at 03:51:20PM -0700, Bruce Pinsky wrote:

> Clinton Work wrote:
> | I have a case open for a 7206/NPE-G1 that crashed and the issue has been
> | traced to bug CSCdz80661. I asked the case engineer to make the bug visible
> | in the bug tool, but he has refused. Shouldn't customer encountered bugs
> | be make visible on the CCO?
> |

> The defect was originally found during development testing and supposedly
> not encountered in released code.  What version are you running that is
> claiming to be seeing this defect?

	I believe it's a policy that Cisco will make those bugs
available, i'm guessing most people in CA know about this
and should ask that the release note be updated to not include
any magical flags that tell bug toolkit to "ignore" pulling it over
to the outside database, as well as remove any customer proprietary
information from the release note..

	I find that over 50% of the bugs I find and report get
marked as found-in internal-use improperly, meaning it's not
reliable.  Bugs should be made available that are found in  and
experienced in customers networks, Period.

	- jared

Jared Mauch  | pgp key available via finger from jared at puck.nether.net